Sunday, May 1, 2011

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Chapter 9 The Writing on the Wall

After the strange and scary events of Mrs. Norris' petrification, people begin to think Harry did it. The trio decide to take action and check out the crime scene.


"Potter and his friends may have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said, a slight sneer curling his mouth as though he doubted it. "But we do have a set of suspicious circumstances here. Why was he in the upstairs corridor at all? Why wasn't he at the Halloween feast?"

Stop, Snape! Just stop bullying these children! Stop holding grudges, stop being prejudice. Act your age, be a man. This is childish behavior.

"I'll make it," Lockhart butted in. "I must have done it a hundred times. I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep --"
"Excuse me," said Snape icily. "but I believe I am the Potions master at this school."
There was a very awkward pause.

Ahhh, yeah! You can be mean to Lockhart, I don't mind, Snape. I'd also like to add that Snape does have good qualities. I always forget that I'm seeing everything through the "Harry Potter filter" which isn't always the best filter to see through. Snape does a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, a lot of which most everyone doesn't see. Sorcerer's Stone is a great example of that. Yes, Snape has difficulty with grudges (we all have struggles in our life). It's not right that he takes it out on an innocent person. His good deeds don't make his mean behavior less terrible. But there is more to Snape than just bullying the Gryffindors.

"D'you think I should have told them about that voice I heard?"
"No," said Ron quickly. "Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world."

Oh, Ronald, that's such bad advice. I assume Ron is afraid for his friend. If Harry tells someone about hearing the voice it would be "confirmed" in Ron's mind. Just a thought, not sure if it's what is really going on.
But anyways, he should've told them. It would probably be better if he spoke privately with Dumbledore. In the end, something "wrong" is happening and he should get some help. (I put wrong in quotes because really nothing is wrong with Harry. He just has a rare ability.)


"I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted old loony," Ron told Harry and Hermione as they fought their way through the teeming corridors at the end of the lesson to drop off their bags before dinner. "But I never knew he started all this pure-blood stuff. I wouldn't be in his House if you paid me. Honestly, if the Sorting Hat had tried to put me in Slytherin, I'd've got the train straight back home..."
Hermione nodded fervently.

Here we are again, hating on other houses. Judging all of them based on a few people. Prejudice. Stereo-typing. It displeases me greatly. I am so disappointed that even the trio falls to this. I'm not going to pretended I know all about the true qualities of every house. I don't but it's something I want to study over some more. (Oh, goodness, did I really just say I need to study on trivial matters in a book? I just love books. I love understanding characters and why they are the way they are. But anyways...)
Again it must be remembered that we're seeing through the "Harry filter". There are a ton of Slytherin students and truly we've only met a handful of them. Slytherin does have good qualities. To me they seem to be great evaluators and planners. They're cunning, resourceful, determined. They are many other things.

"Can't go in there," said Ron gruffly. "That's a girl's toilet."

I find it so amusing how they often use bathrooms in the books. I wonder if a bathroom is used in every book, hmmm.

The argument between Ron and Percy saddens me greatly. I do think Percy cares for Ginny (despite Ron yelling he doesn't). He cares for Ron too and all his family. Percy has come from a poor family. A poor family who is often looked down upon. Percy wants to be someone, he wants to make a name for himself. But I think he let's himself get too caught up in it which is unfortunate.

Honestly? They honestly think Draco is the heir of Slytherin. Oh gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment