Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Chapter 16 Through the Trap Door

The students of Hogwarts all take their exams. Harry feels like he's forgotten something and that something bad is coming but his friends are unconcerned with the matter. When they realize Hagrid's given away how to get past Fluffy they believe Snape will go after the stone that night. So, together, they set out and go through the trap door and make their way through the enchantments.


In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment.

Ah, man that's just really funny to me.

...Harry kept being woken by his old nightmare, except that it was now worse than ever because there was a hooded figure dripping blood in it.

Harry was rubbing his forehead
"I wish I knew what this means!" he burst out angrily. "My scar keeps hurting -- it's happened before, but never as often as this."

Yeah, I definitely think this has to Voldemort and Harry's connection.

"So I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down, ju's play a bit o' music an' he'll go straight ter sleep."
Hagrid suddenly looked horrified.

You should be horrified Hagrid! Because I am going to take a point away from you!
*Sigh*
I can't do it Hagrid, I take it back. You don't lose any points.


"SO WHAT?" Harry shouted. "Don't you understand? If Snape gets hold of the Stone, Voldemort's coming back! Haven't you heard what it was like when he was trying to take over? There won't be any Hogwarts to get expelled from! He'll flatten it, or turn it into a school for the Dark Arts! Losing points doesn't matter anymore, can't you see? D'you think he'll leave you and your families alone if Gryffindor wins the House Cup? If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there, it's only dying a bit later than I would have, because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdoor tonight and nothing you two say is going to stop me! Voldemort killed my parents, remember?"

Bravo, Mister Potter, Bravo. Five points for such a stirring speech (though next time you can be a bit nicer about it).

"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll -- I'll fight you!"
"Neville." Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot--"
"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people."

Neville, you get five points! I didn't Neville's character developed that much in the series but here I am proven wrong. He's made such a hug change in this book. Standing up against an enemy and now standing up to his friends (which I think takes a greater deal of bravery).
Ron, you lose one point for saying Neville is acting like an idiot. You should never insult someone. Now, I'll let the insults to Slytherin students slide only because I know a lot of people insult their enemies and think nothing of it (which is sad).

I really like how there are several enchantments to get through rather than two and they work as a team on each task rather than singly. I know each of them have more of an expertise on a certain enchantment but that doesn't keep them from assisting each other.
Second thought. Wouldn't it be a whole lot better to put an extensive enchament(s) that only Dumbledore could lift rather than several enchantments that require the cleverness and skills of eleven year olds to get through. I know this makes for a plot but I can't help say.

"Yes..." said Ron softly, "it's the only way...I've got to be taken."


He stepped forward, and the white queen pounced. She struck Ron hard across the head with her stone arm, and he crashed to the floor -- Hermione screamed but stayed on her square -- the white queen dragged Ron to one side. He looked as if he'd been knocked out.

Ronald Weasley, you may have faults but you also have some fantastic qualities. To you I award seven points. you have some growing up but that's only normal.

Memorable lines:
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books and cleverness! There are more important things -- friendship and bravery and -- oh Harry -- be careful!"

No comments:

Post a Comment