Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Chapter 17 The Man with Two Faces

Quirrell is really the mastermind behind everything and we discover Voldemort is on the back of his head. Harry fights back the best he can but ends up fainting. Several days later he awakes in the hospital wing. Dumbledore explains what happened after Harry fainted. Harry is able to come down for the end of the year feast where Dumbledore gives out points giving the Gryffindor's victory of the House Cup. Soon everyone parts ways...until next year.

"But Snape tried to kill me!"
"No, no, no. I tried to kill you. Your friend Miss Granger accidentally knocked me over as she rushed to set fire to Snape at that Quidditch match. She broke my eye contact with you. Another few seconds and I'd have got you off that broom. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a countercurse, trying to save you."
"Snape was trying to save me?"
"Of course," said Quirrell coolly. "Why do you think he wanted to refree your next match? He was trying to make sure I didn't do it again."

Haha yes, yes! Snape!

"Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off..."

"I saw you and Snape in the forest--" he blurted out.
"Yes," said Quirrell idly, walking around the mirror to look at the back. "He was on to me by that time, trying to find out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me -- as though he could, when I had Lord Voldemort on my side."

Severus Snape, I award you with fifteen points.You saw through Quirrell right away and you did all you could to detract him from his path. You protected Harry despite the grudges you held against his father and now him. You may not be perfect but you have some good qualities, Severus. (Don't worry I won't let people know, haha.)

I just want to give Dumbledore two points for how clever and amusing he is. I basically want to quote most everything he said. :]

"Your mother died to save you. If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, is i love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scare, no visible sign...to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin. Quirrell, full of hatred, greed and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort, could not touch you for this reason. It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good."

This series puts a lot of emphasis on love. Particularly Lily's sacrifical love for Harry. I know love is a powerful thing but love is just an emotion (and also an action). Love is not some supernatural power that saves people from death and causes physical pain to those who are "purely evil".

Hermione is more emotional than I remembered her to be (all the Gryffindors actually).

It seemed to be a handsome, leather-covered book. Harry opened it curiously. It was full of wizard photographs. Smiling and waving at hum from every page were his mother and father.
"Sent owls off ter all yer parents' school friends, askin' fer photos...knew yeh didn't have any...d'yeh like it."
Harry couldn't speak, but Hagrid understood.

Hagrid that's just so touching. One point for your extraordinary kindness.


Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set."

See, Percy isn't a terrible person. Can't you see the pride he has for his youngest brother? He's so glad to call Ron his brother (and I'm sure he always has been). :]

"Oh, I will," said Harry, and they were surprised at the grin that was spreading over his face. "They don't know we're not allowed to use magic at home. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer..."

No Harry Potter! You're going to have a terrible summer. I'm so sorry. :(


Memorable lines:
Humans do have knack of choosing precisely those things that worst for them. (Dumbledore)
"The truth", Dumbledore sighed, "It is a beautiful and terrible thing and should therefore be treated with great caution."

Sorcerer's Stone may not be as exciting the second time around but it is still an entertaining read. There were many little details and happy moments I didn't remember. I'm glad to have read it, despite people saying it's one of their least favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment