Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcercer's Stone Chapter 6 The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

After another month spent with the Dursley's, Harry Potter comes to King's Cross Station to take a train to Hogwarts. A family of redheads help Harry with some confusion about how to get to Platform 9 3/4. Harry meets some people that will be great friends of his in the years ahead and also makes some enemies.

A song for this chapter: Trains, Doubts, and Dreams by The Hermione Crookshanks Experience

At that moment a group of people passed just behind him and he caught a few words of what they were saying
"- packed with Muggles, or course -"

That sentence greatly amused me. No, a family did not pass behind Harry, a group passed by.

The oldest boy came striding into sight. He had already changed into his billowing black Hogwarts robes, and Harry noticed a shiny silver badge on his chest with the letter P on it.
"Can't stay long, Mother," he said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves -"

Truly, I am very fond of Percy. His character makes me laugh so much and I like that there's a person in the family who doesn't think his parents are right (but of course comes around).

"Fred, you next," the plump woman said.
"I'm not Fred, I'm George," said the boy. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?"
"Sorry, George, dear."
"Only joking, I am Fred," said the boy, and off he went.

I don't blame Mrs. Weasley. One of other consequences of rushing through the series was that I could never tell the difference between Fred and George. In fact they could have even been one person to me. But they do have different personalities (so I've heard). This time around I really want to differentiate the two and understand them as individuals.

I don't feel like quoting it all but when Ron and Harry meet there's only an awkwardness for a moment and then they're opening up everything to each. Ron talks about how successful his elder brothers are and how he dislikes being poor. Harry talks about his terrible life with the Dursley's. It kind of amazed me that two people who just met would talk so freely. Even if they are eleven year old boys, I don't think I ever would have talked like so at eleven.


He had just raised his wand when the compartment door slid open again. The toadless boy was back, but this time he had a girl with him. She was already wearing her new Hogwarts robes.
"Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one." she said. She had a bossy sort of voice, lots of bushy brown hair, and rather large front teeth.

OH MY GOSH
NIGHT TROLL

Scabbers the rat was hanging off his finger, sharp little teeth sunk deep into Goyle's knuckle - Crabbe and Malfoy backed away as Goyle swung Scabbers round and round, howling, and when Scabbers finally flew off and hit the window, all three of them disappeared at once.

What a hard eleven years that must have been for that rat.

And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.
Hello Hogwarts, I'm ready for some amazing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment